Buffalo Botanical Gardens Combines Annual Tributes and Dedications Ceremony with New
For Immediate Release – October 4, 2012
On Saturday morning, September 22, 2012, representatives of the
Buffalo & Erie County Gardens Society, Inc. and the Binational Alliance, were
joined by community members to dedicate the existing Outdoor Perennial Peace
Garden as the latest garden in the growing Binational Heritage Peace
Family and friends gather annually to celebrate the lives and memories of dedicated Garden supporters, and this year, in spite of the rain, came together once again to share their stories and participation in this Peace Garden dedication and unveiling of the new interpretive sign that marks this location as the 18th Peace Garden of 24 Peace Gardens being launched as part of the 1812 Bicentennial legacy project, and one of 9 Peace Gardens located in Western New York.
The photos below were taken during the event, and include speakers David Swarts, President/CEO of Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens, and Arlene White, Executive Director of the Binational Alliance.
“The Botanical Gardens is a beautiful place to visit and we celebrate 200 years of peace between the US and Canada, our historic indoor and outdoor gardens are the perfect place to come to find personal peace” said David Swarts, the President/CEO of Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens.
“We are so pleased that the Botanical Gardens has partnered with us to include their Perennial Peace Garden as one of the sites on the Binational Heritage Peace Garden Trail. Each one of the Peace Gardens launched this year has been unique and authentic to the location and community represented across the territory that the Binational Heritage Peace Garden Trail spans – across the Southern Great Lakes and right down to St. Marys, Georgia” said Arlene White, Executive Director of the Binational Alliance and Project Lead for this 1812 Bicentennial initiative. “The War of 1812 impacted the residents of cross-border Niagara throughout the full three years of the conflict, and it is a tribute to those who came before us that we are able celebrate 200 years of peace at our northern border. These gardens are a lasting reminder of that peace, our shared history and the ongoing commitment to our binational relationship.”
Peace Gardens launched to date include Victor, Burt, Sacket’s Harbor, Youngstown, and Black Rock in New York State, Leamington, Grimsby, Tecumseh, Fort Erie, Niagara-on-the-lake, 2 each in Windsor and Colchester in Ontario, and St. Mary’s, Georgia. Six more Canadian and U.S. Peace Gardens will be dedicated in October and November, 2012, with a total of 60 anticipated by the end of 2014. These gardens are made possible through the generous contributions of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Landscape Ontario, Arts Network for Children & Youth, the Binational Alliance, Mohawk Global Logistics, Heelis, Williams, Little & Almas, and many other community partners and contributors.
Go to www.binationalheritagepeacegardentrail.com to learn more about this legacy project.
For More Information:
Binational Heritage Peace Garden Trail
Arlene White, Executive Director
Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens Society Inc.
Erin Grajek, Director of Marketing
Tel: 716.827.1584 ext 204