The Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens Society, Inc. (the Society) is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit organization with a mission to inspire curiosity and connect people to the natural world through its historic living museum.
Created from the visions of extraordinary people; David F. Day, Frederick Law Olmsted, John F. Cowell, Frederick A. Lord and William A. Burnham, this masterpiece opened in 1900. Lord & Burnham, premier designers of Victorian glass houses brought these visions to life with their unique design that was based upon the famous Crystal Palace in England.
The Botanical Gardens is a national historic site, education center and tourist destination full of exotic horticulture treasures from around the world. Visitors enjoy the amazing architecture and the indoor and outdoor garden sanctuaries. It is a gathering place where visitors can find peace and harmony and enjoy the simple power of the natural world. Some visitors also see it as a place for spiritual healing, meditation and reflection.
The historic Buffalo Botanical Gardens is a living museum that inspires curiosity and connects people to the natural world.
The historic Buffalo Botanical Gardens is a premier cultural destination that engages visitors through a distinct and unique plant collection.
We strive to create Wow, Wonder and Welcome within your teams and for the public. We create the Wow factor by being innovative, creative and enthusiastic, by embracing all possibilities and celebrating our successes. We generate Wonder by building experiences that are beautiful, colorful, inspire curiosity and encourage our visitors and each other to be engaged in the natural world. We are always inclusive and Welcoming to all by being kind, empathetic and respectful to all individuals and their unique perspectives.
We are committed to overcoming barriers to be the most inclusive organization we can be, where all feel welcome and included and we can grow together. We strive to ensure that our collections, facilities, and programming are inclusive and accessible in order to provide a successful and engaging experience for all audiences.
- Integrity - We take actions that promote enduring trust with each other and with the public.
- Natural Environment - We demonstrate a deep and abiding respect for the natural environment.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - We are welcoming to all and create an environment free of discrimination and harassment where all individuals are treated with respect.
- Inspiration - We are inspired by those who came before us and inspire those around us.
- Education - We are all lifelong learners. Botanical Gardens enrich our lives and we have much to learn from the natural world.
- Stewardship - The buildings, grounds and collections that make up the Botanical Gardens should be revered and enhanced, and never harmed. We preserve and protect a legacy left to us by previous generations.
The Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens Society, Inc. is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit organization that relies almost exclusively on admissions, membership, special events and charitable contributions. The Society is also supported in part by public funds from the County of Erie; New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation; The City of Buffalo, local foundations and corporations.